Poka-yoke is a Japanese term that means “mistake-proofing” or “inadvertent error prevention”
3 Steps of Implementation —
1) Make a list of all mistakes you/your team make – Make a list of all items and identify the low hanging one which is causing major losses.
2) Brainstorm – Do brainstorming with all the people involved in the process to find out the permanent solution so that it gets never repeated even if the operator/doer is totally reluctant .i.e. – remove the skill
3) Action and Monitoring – Take action as per the final outcome of Brainstorming. Monitor it periodically to check it for recurrence. If required visit point 2 again.
Apart from error proofing, other advantages of Poka-Yoke is
- Less time spent on training workers;
- Elimination of many operations related to quality control;
- Unburdening of operators from repetitive operations;
- Promotion of the work improvement-oriented approach and actions;
- A reduced number of rejects;
- Immediate action when a problem occurs;
- 100% built-in quality control.
If you keep taking action on only one challenge in a week, you will be able to come out of 52 challenges in a year and will get control.
Does this make sense to you? Click here to see the complete video
To know more please feel free to write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.